First of all, I feel really stupid right now because I don't know how to put a tilde over the "n" so that it actually says the correct word. So I'm really sorry.
Now moving on, I made a pinata! Last week and this week the softball team has been having two-a-day practices, and the first one is at 6 in the morning... college students up and running their guts out at 6 am? Not always the liveliest of places. So as coaches we try to make it a little more fun with some games. Since I don't feel super adequate to be coaching the girls in their softball skills, I decided to do something for them that I knew I COULD do. Well, I actually wasn't sure if I could actually do this, but I decided Hey, why not make a pinata? Everyone loves pinatas! Especially at 6 in the morning!
So I searched for ideas on Pinterest on DIY pinatas, and this is the tutorial I found most helpful.
Doesn't it just make you want to pick up a bat and smash it to bits? Yeah, I feel ya.
So all I did was take a big cardboard box we had and cut out two circles the same size. Then I cut up some empty cereal boxes into 2 1/2 inch strips and taped them to the edges of the cardboard circles. I left a flap at the top to put in all the goodies and taped it down after putting it all in. For a little hook to hang it with I just punched some holes through the cardboard and strung some twine through them before I closed the flap and tied it together. There's probably a smarter way to do it, but that was all I had. I wish I had taken pictures while I was making this so I could actually give you a full tutorial, but I just didn't. So. Yeah.
After it was all taped securely I had Mister Brandt help me cut up strips of paper into fringe that I glued onto the front and sides to make it look like a softball. Though as one of the players pointed out, softballs are actually neon yellow, not white. I told her to give me back all the snacks from the pinata. Not really, but I should have :) I would have decorated the back of it, but I just didn't have time and it was late at night. And they were just going to destroy it anyways. So I drew a smiley face on the back and called it a night. I filled it with a bunch of goodies like granola bars and snack crackers and little boxes of cereal, because we want our softball players to be healthy! I would prefer candy, maybe, but I thought that might not be a good idea so early in the morning.
We had it hanging from a basketball hoop with some rope as a target for the girls to throw balls at... and needless to say they were having a hard time hitting it... We really are a good team. I promise! We moved everyone closer to it and once they started hitting it with the balls the twine couldn't hold it (figures), so it fell. We propped it up against the basketball pole and they NAILED it with the softballs. It broke open and chaos ensued as everyone rushed forward to snag some candy. Or snacks... hopefully they weren't too disappointed haha
Overall, I think the pinata held together all right, it wasn't exquisitely made or anything, and it's meant to explode anyways. The cool thing about making your own pinata is that you can make it as big, as small, or as thick as you want. Fun stuff :)
No comments:
Post a Comment